Tahoe South Press Releases
Free Public Presentations, “The New Reality: What You Should Know About Wildland Fires and Climate Change”
LTVA hosts national experts on major issues at Operation Sierra Storm, annual TV meteorologists’ conference, Jan. 30
Free Public Presentations
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Report (IPCC) – Update
What consequences does the recent IPCC report indicate? Impacts on humans and natural systems of additional warming? Adaptation and mitigation options for reducing risks over shorter and longer time scales.
- Kristie L. Ebi, Lead Author on Chapter 3 of the IPCC Report, Director of the Health and the Global Environment (CHanGE), and Rohm and Haas Endowed Profession in Public Health Services at the University of Washington will provide a look at current realities and future scenarios.
Wildland Fire Causes, Impacts and Solutions
A roundtable discussion with four fire experts will cover what public and private sectors need to know, historical perspective, fire management/response, impacts of climate change, potential suggestions and solutions.
- Chris Anthony, Division Chief for CAL FIRE, Amador-El Dorado Unit East Division Operations
- Alex Hoon, National Weather Service Reno, Incident Meteorologist
- Matt Mehle, National Weather Service San Francisco Bay Area, Incident Meteorologist
- Michael Reid, Aviation Safety Officer & Air Safety Investigator, USFS, Washington Office
- Brandon Miller, CNN Supervising Weather Producer, Atlanta, Moderator
Speakers’ biographies available at: http://osstahoe.com/speakers/.
Harveys Lake Tahoe Cabaret Theater
18 U.S. 50 Stateline, NV 89449
The public is invited to attend the complimentary presentation. RSVPs are encouraged: http://bit.ly/LivingTheNewReality. Validating parking at Harveys garage will be available.
Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019 at 8 – 11:30 a.m.
- IPCC Report Update, 8 – 9:15 a.m.; Q&A to follow
- Panel: Wildland Fire Causes, Impacts and Solutions: 9:30 - 11 a.m.; Q&A to follow
Now in its 23rd year, OSS reinforces South Lake Tahoe’s reputation as a leading winter destination and for its environmental concern and responsibility through online, print, digital and TV outlets in major markets.
Operation Sierra Storm, a leading national weather conference Jan. 28-30, 2019, is a cutting-edge meteorological forum and seminar for network television meteorologists from around the country. OSS features leading scientists and experts discussing newsworthy weather and science topics, and provides ongoing education, networking, and live broadcasts opportunities.
The conference is presented by the Lake Tahoe Visitors Authority & Tahoe Douglas Visitors Authority with support from Heavenly Mountain Resort, Harrah’s & Harveys Lake Tahoe, Edgewood Tahoe, Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe, MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa, Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, Tahoe Fund.
About the Lake Tahoe Visitors Authority
Designated the “Best Ski Destination” by USA TODAY readers (2014), Tahoe South combines the distinctive appeal of two worlds: spectacular natural beauty and a modern tourism destination with an array of outdoor recreation, entertainment, nightlife and gaming. That ageless splendor and an emerging economic diversity continue to define its inimitable personality. For information about lodging, recreation and family packages at Tahoe South, 1-800-AT-TAHOE (1-800-288-2463) or log onto www.TahoeSouth.com.