Lake Tahoe – Train where the Pros train
Add Lake Tahoe to your list of “Favorite spots to Bike/Swim/Run/Recover.”
Lake Tahoe is honored to host top competitions throughout the year. Olympic skiers and snowboarders proudly call Lake Tahoe their home, reinforcing the caliber of diverse and challenging terrain available. This spring, it spins beyond winter sports as Lake Tahoe will host the first two stages of the AMGEN Tour of California Women’s Race empowered with SRAM, May 8-9, 2015.
Several women’s teams are training and acclimating to the altitude, including the BMW presented by Happy Tooth Dental team that has been in the region for the past week.
“The gorgeous sunny weather makes the road conditions ideal for training,” said Carol Chaplin, executive director of the Lake Tahoe Visitors Authority. “Seeing the athletes in our community builds the enthusiasm for hosting the event as well as the sport.”
Tahoe’s slew of summer events/competitions that appeal to the avid recreational cyclist as well as the hard core athlete including:
- America’s Most Beautiful Bike Ride puts pedal to the pavement during the 24th annual ride to fight leukemia and lymphoma as avid recreational bicyclists circumnavigate 72 miles or a century ride (100 miles) around Lake Tahoe on June 7.
- Lake Tahoe Mountain Bike Race on June 20 consists of either a four or eight hour race as an individual or a team of up to 4 people. The course lap is approximately 12.6 miles and the most amount completed in the designated time wins. (Fast lap times are around 50 minutes)
- USA Cycling National Amateur Championships, June 24-28
- Xterra Tahoe City is a triathlon that entails swimming, mountain biking and trail running, June 27.
- Death Ride – Tour of California Alps is 15,000 ft. of climbing for 129 miles over five passes including Monitor (Hwy 89), Ebbetts (Hwy 4) and Carson Pass on July 11.
- Sierra Century Bike Ride, includes three routes - 30, 60 or 100 miles that all begin and end at Squaw Valley on Sept. 12.
- Tour de Tahoe – Bike Big Blue, a Ride to Cure Diabetes, participants test their strength and physical endurance, Sept. 13.
- Cycling Climbing Camps are available throughout the summer.
- Tahoe Bike Challenge – June 1-14
- Ironman Lake Tahoe and Ironman Lake Tahoe 70.3 - will continue to test athletes’ strength and willpower, Sept. 20, 2015.
- AMGEN Tour of California |South Lake Tahoe Route Information
- AMGEN Tour of California | Lake Tahoe VIP Experience
- Lodging deals during the race