Spring roundup of events in South Lake Tahoe
Spring is one of my favorite times in Tahoe South, from live music to pond skimming to dressing up and barbecueing with friends on closing day. What more could a girl ask for?
In fact, the season isn’t over yet and my pass just got better (again!) as Heavenly Mountain Resort and Kirkwood Mountain Resort extended their seasons. Heavenly will stay open daily through April 15, re-opening Friday through Sunday the weekends of April 20 – 22, and April 27 – 29, (depending on weather and conditions). Kirkwood will stay open daily through April 29.
Let’s get down to the nitty gritty on upcoming events and entertainment:
Heavenly is gearing up for its 16th annual Spring Loaded festival which begins this weekend. The two-week event is a non-stop party, full of concerts, competitions and some of the best spring conditions at Lake Tahoe.
- April 1 – Steins Bratwurst Battle Binge
- April 7 – Gunbarrel 25 with Glen Plake
- April 14 – Ski Patrol Fundraiser
- April 14 – Winter Snow Blast – Little Feat Concert
- April 14 & 15 – Lake Tahoe World Championships of Pond Skimming
- Billabong Flaunt It returns to Sierra-at-Tahoe Saturday, March 31 for its final all-girls snowboard series in North America. The Flaunt It Finals (with Jamie Anderson) are back to Sierra for the 4-star event that features a $10,000 cash purse.
- Here’s a video of what you might see – http://vimeo.com/31457361
- April 4-8 – Freeskiing World Tour
- April 13-15 – SpringFest 2012
- April 14-15 – Twisted Sisters Freeride Competition
- April 21 – 18th annual Kirkwood Banked Slalom
- March 31 – Blue Oyster Cult
- April 7 – Ozomatli
- April 14 – Little Feat
- April 21 – Los Lobos
- April 2 – BANFF Mountain Film Festival The films feature remote landscapes and cultures, as well as adrenaline-packed action sports.
- April 12 – Yonder Mountain String Band with special guests Brown Bird
- April 20 – Lotus, Lynx, Eskmo and Bass Heavy
Now that I’ve laid everything out, who’s pond skimming with me? What’s your costume of choice?