Driving to Tahoe South
How do I drive to South Lake Tahoe?
Tahoe South is conveniently located on the California and Nevada border. Getting to and around South Lake Tahoe has never been easier. The drive to South Lake Tahoe is 3.5-hours from the Bay Area, or an hour-long drive from the Reno-Tahoe International Airport, with more than 120 daily nonstop flights. Convenient express shuttle service from Reno is available multiple times per day from the South Tahoe Airporter.
Directions to Tahoe South from the Bay Area:
Follow I-80 E and I-80BL E/Capital City Freeway to US-50 E in Sacramento
Keep left at the fork to continue on I-80BL E/US-50 E/Capital City Freeway, follow signs for Interstate 80 Business/Sacramento/South Lake Tahoe
Follow US-50 E to Lake Tahoe Blvd in South Lake Tahoe
Directions to Tahoe South from Reno:
Get on I-80 E
Continue to Carson City
Drive to US-50 W in South Lake Tahoe
Another option for travelers is the Sacramento International Airport; only a two-hour drive away, offering 145 nonstop flights per day.
- Important Travel Information PDF
- Tahoe South Travel Planner
- Public transportation from Sacramento and the Bay Area: Capitol Corridor at (877) 974-3322 or www.CapitolCorridor.org
- Skedaddle to Lake Tahoe – Start or join crowdsourced bus rides directly from your neighborhood.
- MegaBus.com from Sacramento and San Francisco to Reno, NV.
- Bay Area Ski Bus
- Alpine Adventures
- Extranomical Tours
- Hertz Rental Car inside Harveys Lake Tahoe (775) 586-0041
- Enterprise Rental Car at Tahoe South (530) 544-8844
- Budget & Avis Rental Car inside Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel (530) 544-3439
- Aladdin Limousine
- Bell Limousine
- Reno-Tahoe Limousine
- Tahoe Elite Private Car service (530) 582-5828 www.TahoeElite.com
- Details about Uber at Reno-Tahoe International
- Uber Car Service
- Lyft Ridesharing Service
- Road Conditions at NVRoads.com and CA Road Conditions or both
- Winter Driving Tips from Caltrans
- Public Transportation while in town
- Waze live road information
For the latest up-to-date roadwork information around the Tahoe Basin, please visit www.tahoeroads.com