Lake Tahoe was much-beloved by famous humorist Mark Twain, who wrote about the region way back in 1872. Can you imagine his travel time to the lake, via horse-drawn buggy? Forget about it.
Conveniently located on the California and Nevada border, getting to and around South Lake Tahoe has never been easier. Hooray for cars and freeways.
Tahoe South is a mere 3.5 hour drive from the Bay Area, or an hour-long drive from the Reno-Tahoe International Airport, with more than 120 daily nonstop flights. Convenient express shuttle service from Reno is available multiple times per day from the South Tahoe Airporter. Also, New Door to Door shuttle service from the Reno-Tahoe International Airport to Lake Tahoe with Amador Stage Lines (800) 446-2928. Airport Flight Map
Another option for travelers is the Sacramento International Airport; a two-hour drive, offering 145 nonstop flights.
- Tahoe South Travel Planner
- Public transportation from Sacramento and the Bay Area: Capitol Corridor at (877) 974-3322 or www.CapitolCorridor.org
- MegaBus.com from Sacramento and San Francisco to Reno, NV.
- Bay Area Ski Bus
- Tahoe Tech Bus Premium, Wi-Fi enabled transportation from the Bay Area to Lake Tahoe.
- Hertz Rental Car inside Harveys Lake Tahoe (775) 586-0041
- Enterprise Rental Car at Tahoe South (530) 544-8844
- Budget & Avis Rental Car inside Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel (530) 544-3439
- Road Conditions at NVRoads.com
- 2015 Tahoe Basin Construction Map
For the latest up-to-date roadwork information around the Tahoe Basin, please visit www.tahoeroads.com