Tahoe South Blog
Where to rent a bike in South Lake Tahoe
When I imagine a great family vacation I picture bike paths galore, bright sunny vacation homes, and sandy beaches.
In Tahoe South we have plenty of bike paths to explore, mountain-home-esque vacation rentals, tons of summer camping, state parks and yes, even sandy white beaches. What's not to love?
I love riding bikes. I do not discriminate from mountain bike, to road, to cruiser. I have no less than 7 bikes sitting in my yard right now, and I'm sure my neighbors hate me.
I don't care.
I don't care, because I love the freedom of transportation that a bike provides. I love that as a child, I wasn't allowed to watch TV but I was allowed to ride my bike wherever I pleased and that one singular rule gave me more independence and courage as an adult than any other tool or trait that my parents could have tried to force upon me.
As a child on vacation, my fondest memories included renting bright cruisers and being allowed to ride to our hearts content all over the Technicolor vacation sub-divisions in which we rented homes. A bike on vacation was far more exciting than your own neighborhood: there were new streets to explore, new kids to meet, souvenir shops to pre-shop, and, most importantly, ice cream stands.
Tahoe South is no different and summer families of every shape, size and age gather on two wheels for the same recreation all summer long. Whether you are a cycling connoisseur looking for a road bike, a mountain biker looking for that Tahoe Downhill Experience, or simply a family looking to cruise the bike path for an ice cream cone, we’ve got you covered:
- Anderson's Bike Rentals starts at the beginning of the Camp Richardson Bike Path. There are miles of safe, paved trails perfect for the family of all ages to peruse. The path is dotted with beaches. As you bike, you can enjoy a picnic in the sand at Pope or Baldwin Beach. Ride the bike path into Camp Richardson and stop at the restaurant with the best calamari and Rum Runners in town, The Beacon, or treat the kids to their daily vacation ice cream cone at the Camp Richardson Ice Cream Parlor.
- For the road or mountain biking enthusiast, I recommend South Shore Bikes (530-544-RIDE). Hec and his staff at South Shore Bikes can set you up with road, mountain or downhill bikes by the hour or day. If you need multiple bikes for multiple family members, they also rent beach cruisers and stock a well rounded supply of road and mountain bike parts.
- If you are in need of apparel while you're in town, head on across the street to my store, Pearl Izumi (530-541-9044) for all your road and mountain biking apparel needs.
- Brought your bike but need a tune? I recommend Wattabike (530-544-7700) in Meyers. If you are a road biker looking for cycling routes in the area, stop into Pearl Izumi and speak with my staff or check out our favorite loops on Alta Alpina Cycling Club's site.
- If you are a mountain biker looking for the best trails in the area, head on over to TAMBA's trail page.
In Tahoe South, our locals are friendly, our bike paths are safe, our beaches are beautiful, and you and your family will create some of the best vacation memories on just two wheels.
If you've experienced South Lake Tahoe on two wheels, I'd love to see your pictures or include your recommendations on this list!
Lauren Lindley is a Texas Longhorn at heart and a transplant to South Lake Tahoe, which she has called home since 2006. She is an adventurer and athlete, claiming the following to her sports resume: runner, swimmer, cyclist, snowboarder, and sometimes climber. She is a music lover, prolific reader of literature, traveler and photographer. The only bottle of wine she doesn't like has the word Merlot on it.