Tahoe South Blog
My top 15 moments from Tahoe Celebrity Golf Week
Another Tahoe Celebrity Golf Week is in the books. The 24th annual American Century Championship took place at Edgewood Tahoe July 17 - 24. 80 celebrities headlined by Charles Barkley, Michael Phelps, Jerry Rice, and Aaron Rodgers hit the links by day and Tahoe's party scene by night.
Of course I was there, because in the deep recesses of my mind I too believe I am a celebrity. This delusion was dashed when I attempted to visit one of the main restrooms at Edgewood and was directed to a porta-potty because the main restrooms weren't open to the public. Nevertheless, I managed to have an amazing time at Celebrity Golf Week, and even if security didn't recognize me as a celebrity, I sure felt like one basking in the sun along the shores of Lake Tahoe.
There were so many great moments, but here are my personal Top 15 highlights from the 2013 Tahoe Celebrity Golf Week.
- With three kids under the age of 5, my wife and I don't get a lot of dates. A friend offered to watch our kids so we could check out the tourney without totting the little ones. Walking around the course at Edgewood was like a leisurely stroll where we'd occasionally see a celebrity or two. We even got drinks at the clubhouse. I'd call that a date.
- Bloody Mary's next to Hole 17 on Saturday morning with my brother.
- Skyy Vodka Lemonade next to Hole 17 on Saturday afternoon with my brother.
- Watching Jerry Rice and Sterling Sharpe greet each other and wish one another luck as they got read to Tee Off on Day 2 of the tourney. Two great athletes who'd done this so many times on the football field and now doing it on a golf course. I even caught a photo of the moment.
- Watching actor Alfonso Ribeiro do his Carlton Banks dance after teeing off.
- The "spectator's guide to golf etiquette" in the official program for the Celebrity Golf Week, which included this little gem: "Wear tasteful, weather appropriate attire (i.e, beverage helmets, while convenient, are considered inappropriate on a golf course).
- Shaking hands with John Elway, who's a much bigger guy than I ever expected. He's just a big dude. I'm adding him to my list of people I want in my corner if I ever end up in a bar fight.
- The look on Tim Brown's face when I mentioned his assertion that Raiders coach Bill Callahan threw Super Bowl XXXVII.
- Watching Charles Barkley hold court and smoking a cigar at Cliche Lounge on the 16th floor of Harrah's.
- Seeing 160 boats and one big party scene along the beach at Hole 17.
- Watching Bode Miller win the Korbel hole-in-one contest.
- Watching Larry the Cable Guy, who just didn't seem to fit in amongst all the designer cloths and flashy golf pants, walking Hole 18 to get 'er done.
- Going to breakfast at the original Red Hut in South Lake Tahoe and sitting next to Boston Red Sox great Kevin Millar.
- Jim McMahon walking the course barefoot.
- Watching Billy Joe Tolliver hoist the championship trophy after a three-hole playoff with Mark Rypien.
I've already marked my calendar for next year. The 25th annual Tahoe Celebrity Golf Week takes place July 15-20, 2014. Now if I could just get Charles Barkley to invite me to join us entourage at Cliche for a cigar.
Clark Vandeventer used to wear business suits and go to important meetings. He moved to South Lake Tahoe to reinvent his life. He now spends his summers at the beach in board shorts and winters in his Helly Hansen gear skiing 50+ days a year. When he’s not being a professional ski bum or having fun with his family, he’s blogging. You can read about his family’s quest to work less, live more, and travel the world at FamilyTrek.org. You should also check out his site TahoeSkiBum.com.