Tahoe South Blog
Summer Weekend of Fun in Tahoe South
Last summer, we filmed a video to showcase some of the fun activities here at Lake Tahoe. I was lucky enough to be in on the action, and came away with a few thoughts on making the most out of your summer weekend at Tahoe South.
1. Start early. This is vital. With so much to do, you want to be able to maximize your daylight hours. Make coffee your first stop, then meet your friends and go!
2. Visit Lakeview Commons. Pack a picnic lunch and give standup paddleboarding a try. It’s so fun, even if it’s your first time (trust me – I’m not great at it). TIP: If you are a beginner, morning is the best time to experience the lake – the water is generally calmer earlier in the day. Check out the webcam at South Tahoe Standup Paddle for conditions, rent a board for an hour or two, and enjoy a fresh perspective of Lake Tahoe.
3. Try our local trails. There are more than a few local trailheads on the South Shore, with parking lots and access to different levels of difficulty of hiking and biking. With a little effort, there are breathtaking views of Lake Tahoe, neighboring Carson Valley, and beautiful alpine lakes. In spring and early summer, waterfalls are still pretty impressive, and a must-see.
4. Experience Camp Richardson. There’s so much to do here, it’s easy to spend an entire afternoon. Rent jet skis or a boat, lounge on the beach, play in the sand, and have a cocktail on the deck at The Beacon. Explore the surrounding Tallac Historic Site and Taylor Creek Visitor’s Center. Stop for generous scoops of ice cream (pistachio!) at the old-fashioned Ice Cream Parlor or delicious sandwiches at the General Store.
5. Listen to the music. Tahoe South’s music scene really shines in the summer months. From concerts at Harveys Outdoor Arena and MontBleu Outdoor Event Center, to the Live at Lakeview Series at Lakeview Commons, to Jazz in the Park at Valhalla, there is something for a mix of musical tastes all summer long.
Oh, and the video I mentioned? Here it is:
Have fun planning your summer weekend at Lake Tahoe!